June meeting will be Sunday, 12 June at 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s new studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212. We will no longer be meeting at the Mesquite Bean but appreciate the owners giving up their Sunday and hosting our meetings for the last several months.
The 15 May FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, with a vibrant group of artists in attendance.
The group discussed stuff again. Several of us have been moving and divesting or dealing with other people’s estates, which makes us think of our own estates. Some questions to ask yourself: what are you doing with your art; what are you not interested in anymore; what types of supplies can you set free for others to enjoy. We talked about giving stash and supplies to the Refugee Center on Wurzbach, the place currently linked with FASA’s upcoming sari sale.
We had a great pool of UFOs, enjoying everyone’s stories and rejoicing in decisions to set the UFO free or to rename as a WIP and continue to embellish. We also decided as a group that a UFO is something an artist is unlikely to pick back up and finish. All others are WIP (works in progress). Even if the WIP takes years. It’s a journey.
We brought in Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) and enjoyed swapping them. If you want to play, bring in however many ATCs you want to make and you can trade until you run out of cards to trade.
We added another member to the Fabric Post Card round robin and will continue to cycle those through the various players. They are shaping up beautifully with some interesting diversions from the expected path.
In other news:
- Jean Dahlgren plans to start dye classes in the fall when she finishes moving into her new house. She’s moved in. Waiting on dates…
- Furniture for a Cause from Sam’s Ministries is a huge used furniture store on Blanco.
- Upholstery places: one on McCullough near Schnabels (which is a really cool hardware store in itself, including the capability to sharpen knives); one on San Pedro and Basse; and Rudy’s (the only one with a name we could remember) which is also on McCullough and which receives good reviews.
- Spec’s Liquor Store sells empty cigar boxes for $1.
- The Lions Club is sponsoring “Art On Broadway – a Fine Art Show and Sale” to be held 5 Dec. They are looking for submissions and will accept from 1 June through 21 Sept.
- Recommended book: Fabric Surface Design by Cheryl Rezendes published in 2013.
Not only has Jean graciously opened her studio to us, she’s also opened her thermofax machine. If interested bring a black and white image with you to the next meeting and she’ll show us all how to do some screen printing. The image has to be printed with carbon black ink and remember, the black ink burns away so make sure you generally understand how your image will behave. It will be great fun! In July, Carmen Goyette will present “Snippet Rolls.”
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair