SPUTNIK Meeting Minutes
February meeting will be Sunday the 9th at 2 pm at JeanDahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 12 Jan FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting was attended by a thoughtful group of resolute artists!
We had a great conversation about our various artistic resolutions with many folks vowing to “just have more fun with art.” We referenced a December article in Quilting Arts, “Creative Reboot,” with 8 tips for achieving goals.
1. Document your goals and progress
2. Identify resources to help you achieve each goal
3. Designate time to work toward your goals
4. Find an accountability partner (everyone at FASA can be our accountability partners!)
5. Revisit your goals throughout the year
6. Celebrate your successes
7. Be open to new possibilities
8. Reflect and repeat
Also an NPR article “Feeling Artsy? Here’s how making art helps your brain”
1. It helps you imagine a more hopeful future
2. Activates brain reward center
3. Lowers stress
4. Lets you focus deeply
5. Helps you process your emotions
We talked about using the SMART technique to focus on your goals: Specific, measuring, achievable, relevant, timeline
Calls for Entry:
· Artist Trading Cards (ATC) Swap open to FASA members! See our Prez, Deb Harris (email@example.com) if you want to sign up.
· Criteria for ATC
· A Member’s only event
· 2 ½ inches by 3 ½ inches
· Monthly Theme – Feb’s theme is free for all/pick your topic
· Medium – artist choice
· Be prepared to create at least 16 cards for trading
· Creator’s name and date on the back
· Number the cards.
· They do not have to be identical
· Trading will take place at SPUTNIK meetings and after each general FASA meeting
· https://youratcstore.com/atc-stamps-for-atc-backs-c-109_50.html – beware this site, it MAKES you buy stuff!!!
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
· 14 March 1-4 Runway Show – go do, go see!
· Exploring Dimensional Quilt Art: Stitch, Fold, Embellish – recommended as a good book. Exploring-Dimensional-Quilt-Art-Embellish
· An artist recommended Suzi Munday’s iPad class: Collage on iPad
· Interesting art and quilt blog with lots of links to other blogs: http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/
· We talked a lot and had a great time. You really just had to be there…
1. Next presentation will be for brass rubbings – bring fabric if you want, otherwise supplies will be provided.
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|January 2020||Artistic Resolutions||Everyone!|
|February||Brass Rubbings||Dee Dee and Alicia|
|June||Shrinky Dink Art||Annie|
· If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list. We are running out of months fast so step up to lead the group soon!
o Next year’s wait list:
o Tara – water bottle holder
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair