Carmen Goyette – email@example.com
SPUTNIK Meeting Minutes
June meeting will be Sunday the 9th at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 12 May FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting attended by an eager group of artists, ready to fellowship and learn how to marble!
Calls for Entry:
· Moon Travel: Fiber Connections – FASA exhibit at Forest Hills Branch Library 25 May – 31 July 2019
o Deadline: May 13
o Install on 18 May at 9 am – an artist brought hers in to show the group before installation, wonderful work!
· Sacred Threads 2019: “Eye Contact: creating a connection” – deadline: May 31, 2019http://www.sacredthreadsquilts.com/html/iseeyou.html
o The dimensions are 23″ wide x 5″ high
o Human Eyes – Looking at the Viewer
· INTERNATIONAL FIBER ARTS IX EXHIBITION – August 2 – September 8, 2019 Sebastopol Center for the Arts
o International Fiber Arts IX is a juried exhibition presenting a distinct approach to innovative and traditional fiber techniques, and a contemporary concept for the use of traditional and unusual materials. The chosen work invites the viewer to experience the many facets of fiber art. Accepting both two or three-dimensional pieces including wearable and installation art.
· Apply to be a participating jewelry, fashion, apparel or home vendor at Style ’19 taking place at the Museum of Craft and Design in San Francisco. Now in its 13th year, Style is a show, sale and benefit celebrating independent contemporary craft and design. This curated event held over two days, December 7–8 and focuses on the highest quality fashion, jewelry, accessories and now, new in 2019, home. Learn more and apply at sfmcd.org/style
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
· Fabrictopia has expanded and it is very nice and so much cleaner/neater. Castro, the girls dress manufacturer, is having more sales…an artist bought a boat load of buttons when they cleared out of their old place…they are now very close to Fabrictopia…..on Laurel.
· This one took everyone by surprise. An artist said Overstock has great deals on items like Texture Magic, the shrink wrap paper, and other fabric stuff. They have a whole section on crafts and sewing! Who knew? https://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Pellon-Fabric-Magic-Shrinkable-Interfacing-20-inch-x-10yd
· An artist brought in shrink plastic (shrinky dink) jewelry made using pictures from an adult coloring book, colored, and shrinky dink-ed. Very fun!
· An artist showed us a great technique to recycle and create by using store receipts as backing for paper piecing.
· An artist brought in some beautiful samples of Seminole piecework from a class by Rachel Clark offered by the Austin Quilt Guild. The artist recommends the Guild for really great class offerings.
· Our very own President, Deb, will have her quilt in an exhibition “We Who Believe in Freedom” and book of the same name, https://www.cincinnati.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/2019/04/05/photos-we-who-believe-freedom-quilt-exhibit-freedom-center/3376219002/ curated and written by Dr. Caroline L. Mazloomi! http://carolynlmazloomi.com/gallery/
· The Institute of Texan Cultures is installing “Telling our Story” permanently in Sept. That’s the quilt exhibition presented by the African American Quilt Circle of San Antonio last year that had quilts by our members in it. http://events.mysanantonio.com/event/telling-our-story-african-american-influences-on-san-antonio-s-history-quilt-exhibit-tc0021mww0
The marbling demo was the coolest thing ever! Mark brought in enough supplies for all of the artists to each pull their own prints. He walked us through the fabric prep which involves using alum treated cotton, went through the process to show us, and set us loose! We all had the greatest time and made some amazing patterns. Lots of OOHs and AAHs. Definitely something to keep doing. We are trying to talk Mark into offering a workshop at the Monday FASA meeting because this was so cool! Here are some references if you are interested in studying up:
AUTHOR: Medeiros, Wendy Addison.
Marbling techniques: how to create traditional and contemporary designs on paper and fabric
CALL NO: ART 745.7 Medeiros
AUTHOR: Maurer-Mathison, Diane V.
The ultimate marbling handbook : a guide to basic and advanced techniques for marbling paper and fabric
CALL NO: ART 745.7 Maurer-Mathison
Some pictures of our happy artists are attached.
Next presentation will be Annie in June!
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|January 2019||Artistic Resolutions||Everyone!|
|June||4th of July ornaments||Annie|
|July||Recycling Art||Sandy and Cyndi|
|August||Altered Altoid Tins||Sandy and Cyndi|
|December 2019||Holiday Celebration!||Everyone!|
· Next Presentation: June – 4th of July ornaments
· If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair